- Determine the purpose and structure of the process analysis essay.
- Understand how to write a process analysis essay.
The Purpose of Process Analysis in Writing
The purpose of a process analysis essay is to explain how to do something or how something works. In either case, the formula for a process analysis essay remains the same. The process is articulated into clear, definitive steps.
Almost everything we do involves following a step-by-step process. From riding a bike as children to learning various jobs as adults, we initially needed instructions to effectively execute the task. Likewise, we have likely had to instruct others, so we know how important good directions are—and how frustrating it is when they are poorly put together.
Writing at Work
The next time you have to explain a process to someone at work, be mindful of how clearly you articulate each step. Strong communication skills are critical for workplace satisfaction and advancement. Effective process analysis plays a critical role in developing that skill set.
On a separate sheet of paper, make a bulleted list of all the steps that you feel would be required to clearly illustrate three of the following four processes:
- Tying a shoelace
- Parallel parking
- Planning a successful first date
- Being an effective communicator
The Structure of a Process Analysis Essay
The process analysis essay opens with a discussion of the process and a thesis statement that states the goal of the process.
The organization of a process analysis essay typically follows chronological order. The steps of the process are conveyed in the order in which they usually occur. Body paragraphs will be constructed based on these steps. If a particular step is complicated and needs a lot of explaining, then it will likely take up a paragraph on its own. But if a series of simple steps is easier to understand, then the steps can be grouped into a single paragraph.
The time transition phrases covered in the Narration and Illustration sections are also helpful in organizing process analysis essays (see Table 10.1 “Transition Words and Phrases for Expressing Time” and Table 10.2 “Phrases of Illustration”). Words such as first, second, third, next, and finally are helpful cues to orient reader and organize the content of essay.
Always have someone else read your process analysis to make sure it makes sense. Once we get too close to a subject, it is difficult to determine how clearly an idea is coming across. Having a friend or coworker read it over will serve as a good way to troubleshoot any confusing spots.
Choose two of the lists you created in Note 10.52 “Exercise 1” and start writing out the processes in paragraph form. Try to construct paragraphs based on the complexity of each step. For complicated steps, dedicate an entire paragraph. If less complicated steps fall in succession, group them into a single paragraph.
Writing a Process Analysis Essay
Choose a topic that is interesting, is relatively complex, and can be explained in a series of steps. As with other rhetorical writing modes, choose a process that you know well so that you can more easily describe the finer details about each step in the process. Your thesis statement should come at the end of your introduction, and it should state the final outcome of the process you are describing.
Body paragraphs are composed of the steps in the process. Each step should be expressed using strong details and clear examples. Use time transition phrases to help organize steps in the process and to orient readers. The conclusion should thoroughly describe the result of the process described in the body paragraphs. See Chapter 15 “Readings: Examples of Essays” to read an example of a process analysis essay.
Choose one of the expanded lists from Note 10.54 “Exercise 2”. Construct a full process analysis essay from the work you have already done. That means adding an engaging introduction, a clear thesis, time transition phrases, body paragraphs, and a solid conclusion.
- A process analysis essay explains how to do something, how something works, or both.
- The process analysis essay opens with a discussion of the process and a thesis statement that states the outcome of the process.
- The organization of a process analysis essay typically follows a chronological sequence.
- Time transition phrases are particularly helpful in process analysis essays to organize steps and orient reader.
This is a derivative of Writing for Success by a publisher who has requested that they and the original author not receive attribution, originally released and is used under CC BY-NC-SA. This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Process analysis is an essay which explains how something is done, how something occurs or how something works. In this kind of essay, the writer is required to present steps of a process in a sequential order, from first to the last. All concepts or terms that might appear uncommon are defined.
Table Of Contents
Example essay topics in process analysis include:
- how to pray
- how to cook potatoes
- how to manage Hepatitis
- how to prevent a disease
- how to set up a campsite
In this paper, our service provides an excellent guide on how to write a process analysis essay.
Writing A Process Analysis Essay
The structure for this type of analysis is as follows:
- The introductory part should explain the actual process and why it is relevant or necessary. The writer should avoid any unnecessary information such as the background, history or origin. If for instance, a recipe needs tomato sauce, the readers should be informed so. In other words, go directly to the issue and provide only the necessary information.
- The next paragraph should present a list of all the equipment, tools or resources necessary for the particular process. For instance, if some ingredients cannot be found in the locality, the writer should explain where one can find it or them. Potential risks or side effects that are likely to generate from the process should be started so that the reader remains informed. Furthermore, it is important to inform the reader of what might go wrong and what can be done to avoid potential mistakes.
- The next part should outline the process in a sequential order. If the process requires some steps that should be undertaken at particular stages, these should be stated and explained clearly, at the relevant point in the sequence. The writer should be very keen to avoid confusion. For processes that appear complicated, the steps should be subdivided accordingly. What is more, the writer needs to vary their use of transitional words such as after, then, next so as to make sure that the essay does not become repetitive.
The final part should present a general review of the whole process so the writer can reinforce the main points succinctly without details.
- Introduce your topic and briefly outline what the process will achieve.
- Demonstrate where this process is relevant or when it is useful.
- It is a good idea to offer a real-world example of an outcome of the procedure.
- The processes should be presented in paragraphs.
- Each step should be presented in its own paragraph.
- Appropriate transitions should be employed for each step.
- Be descriptive in your presentation.
- In your conclusion, the procedure is summarized. You do not have to repeat all the individual steps, but you need to reinforce the main points and milestones.
- Describe the expected result.
Essay Writing Advice From Our Professional Team
The Magnificent Writer, EssayPro
A process essay also called an expository essay and has a very specific tone to it. Many instructional articles (like the article above) call for an essay of this type. While writing an article like this, it is very important to watch your tone. When I get an assignment like this, I make sure to write in a completely neutral way, as the essay is just eluding to specific instructions. Sometimes you might find this essay format in other classes that aren’t English. In biology, your teacher might want you to describe how specific biological functions occur. Your answer should be written as a process essay. As the article already states, if the topic is a free choice, then write about something you know well. If the topic is chosen by your instructor, it is likely that it was assigned to you for you to learn how something happens. In this case, do research properly and write in short and concise sentences. This skill will be very helpful in the future when you take class notes or do PowerPoint presentations.
Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff
If you have the opportunity to choose your topic, describing a process, you are familiar with will make the task a lot easier. We hope this guide will help make your assignment more achievable, but if you need help to write your process essay, custom papers can be written quickly by our professional essay writers. Don’t let a single task cost you your grade. Many hard-working students already come to our site to order an essay so they can target their efforts toward the areas of their study which are most relevant and important to them. Send us a message and let us take the pressure off.
Essay writer online